Request for review: libgeotiff

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sun Jul 17 20:49:39 UTC 2005

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:20:26 -0700 (PDT), Shawn McCann wrote:

> Ralf,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the file to address all your
> comments and posted the new version.
>
> SPEC: http://www.canasoft.ca/fedora/libgeotiff.spec
> SRPM: http://www.canasoft.ca/fedora/libgeotiff-1.2.2-1.src.rpm
>
> However, I'm having one problem now. The base package includes two
> executables that link to libgeotiff.so (which is why I had libgeotiff.so
> in the base package and included it in the Provides: directive). Now that
> I've moved libgeotiff.so back to the devel package, the base package won't
> install as it can't find libgeotiff.so. Any advice on how to deal with
> this?

That's upstream sloppiness -- a bug. Library has no SONAME. It ought
to be patched to get the name "libgeotiff.so.1". Then the executables
will link against and depend on the proper SONAME.

You also want to include the following directories in the binary packages:

  /usr/include/geotiff/
  /usr/share/epsg_csv/

Some of Ralf's findings are not fixed yet.