Request for review : gkrellm-bmp

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Jul 18 08:57:50 UTC 2005

Brian Pepple wrote :

> On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 21:21 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > Well, in that case, I'd be interested in hearing your comments regarding
> > the possibility of having a "gkrellm-xmms" package that would obsolete
> > "gkrellmms". You can find such a package next to the "gkrellm-bmp" one. A
> > quick review of both would be much appreciated too ;-)
>
> The specs look ok, but is there any reason for not following the
> upstream name?  According to the wiki, we should try to follow the
> upstream name, and I don't see any compelling reason not to follow that.

In this particular case, there are two reasons :
- The name space for an application's plugins should be
"appname-pluginname", and this is what some gkrellm plugins already use
upstream, but unfortunately not all. See the "Addon Packages (General)"
section of the Package Naming Guidelines.
- Both gkrellm-xmms and gkrellm-bmp are built from the same "gkrellmms"
source, but are mutually exclusive, so it would be impossible to have both
keep the name, and deciding to name the bmp version "gkrellbmp" for
instance seems much uglier to me than choosing to use the "gkrellm-*" name
space.

Oh and another one is that "yum search gkrellm-*" will return _all_
gkrellm related packages if they are all included in that name space.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.12-1.1390_FC4.s3
Load : 0.34 0.60 0.83