Request for review: ngrep

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Jul 19 17:37:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 11:37 -0400, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 10:56 -0400, Colin Charles wrote:
> > ngrep is grep command that works on realtime network data.
>
> On second thought, reading LICENSE.txt seems a little alarming...

To me it looks like it's just a BSDish one, with the additional
requirement that modified versions must be clearly marked as such in the
docs.  The license certainly isn't GPL, though.

But the license is incompatible with the GPL, which means it cannot be
built/shipped using the GPL'd regex bundled with the sources.  No
problems when built with pcre, I think.

I have a local package of this too, in which I've "modified" ngrep to
link with the system pcre, and added a brief README about it (which
should be enough to satisfy the license).  Feel free to borrow what you
find useful: http://cachalot.mine.nu/4/SRPMS/ngrep-1.44-0.1.src.rpm