Request for review: umfpack

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Jul 20 16:44:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:49:42 -0500, Quentin Spencer wrote:

> > I would be explicit and own the include directory:
> >
> > %{_includedir}/umfpack/
>
> I'll fix this. I'm not familiar with the details of how the %files
> section works. Do you mean putting this on a separate line from the line
> where the contents of the directory are included?

Assume /foo/bar is a directory, then an entry like

/foo/bar

in the %files section includes the directory "bar" and its contents
recursively. When listing the binary package contents, e.g. with
rpm -qplv, you would see

drwxr-xr-x ... /foo/bar
-rw-r--r-- ... /foo/bar/file1.h
-rw-r--r-- ... /foo/bar/file2.h
-rw-r--r-- ... /foo/bar/file3.h
drwxr-xr-x ... /foo/bar/subdir
-rw-r--r-- ... /foo/bar/subdir/example.h

Note the 'd' lines. On the contrary, if you just do

/foo/bar/*

in the %files section, you get only the files within the directory, but
not the directory itself:

-rw-r--r-- ... /foo/bar/file1.h
-rw-r--r-- ... /foo/bar/file2.h
-rw-r--r-- ... /foo/bar/file3.h
drwxr-xr-x ... /foo/bar/subdir
-rw-r--r-- ... /foo/bar/subdir/example.h

Here /foo/bar is missing.

Where you don't want to include entire directory trees recursively and
when you list files explicitly (i.e. without wildcards), you can include
directories separately:

%dir /foo/bar
/foo/bar/file1.h
/foo/bar/file2.h