clamd handicraft work

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Wed Jul 20 18:29:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 07:54:43AM -0700, Nathan Grennan wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 08:39 -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> > I don't really think that's a good idea.  The amavisd-new package I'm
> > working on includes all the clamav integration.
>
>   By making it a separate package you allow the user choice. Not all
> people will want to use clamav, and so adding it to the amavisd-new
> package seems like a bad idea. Personally I use clamav and uvscan. I did
> set clamav-amavis to require amavisd-new.

I've thought about this before, and I can't think of a good reason for
amavisd-new not to require clamav.  If the daemon isn't running,
amavisd-new will skip it, so nobody is forcing anyone to *use* clamav,
just install it.

Besides, even if someone uses another virus scanner, keeping clamav
enabled makes a lot of sense...  It will often pick up things the
other virus scanners won't pick up (like a lot of the phishing scam
mails).

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/