New Request for Review: istanbul - Now under new management

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 21:20:42 UTC 2005

With J5's blessing, I'm prepared to maintain the instabul package.
For now its only going to be available for extras-development because
of the gstreamer-plugins dependancy. If fc4 or fc3 gets the newer
gstreamers-plugins at somepoint I'll gladly build for fc4 or fc3 as
well.

Starting with J5's initial packaging, I've cleaned up the spec a
little bit more. I've gotten this to build and and used it to make
some example screencasts. There are caveats about performance since
the ximagesrc gst element which istanbul is relying on is still under
active development and just showed up in the gstreamer--plugins now
available in rawhide. I'm prepared to create a short wiki howto on the
fedoraproject page with recommendations on how to use istanbul to
avoid egregious problems with framedrops for the time being.  I can
add version of that howto into this package as a package update at
some point in the future if the performance issues aren't addressed in
the time from of the fc5 test releases.

Istanbul is a desktop session recorder.  You can use it to record your
desktop session and then play it back for demos, tutorials and
presentations.  Sessions are recorded to ogg theora files for later
playback.

You can find the mock built binary and srpm at
http://jef.is-a-geek.com/downloads/istanbul/

An example screencast using a version of instanbul i built locally at:
http://jef.is-a-geek.com/downloads/desktop-recording.ogg

So please if you are interested in a native screencasting support in
Fedora, take a moment and review the package for approval into
extras-development.

Notes:
rpmlint istanbul-0.1.1-3.i386.rpm returns:
E: istanbul zero-length /usr/share/doc/istanbul-0.1.1/README
E: istanbul zero-length /usr/share/doc/istanbul-0.1.1/AUTHORS
E: istanbul zero-length /usr/share/doc/istanbul-0.1.1/NEWS

all 3 files are zero-length in the source tarball?  Keep them in the
rpm or exclude them?

W: istanbul empty-%post
Should i remove the empty postun and post sections from the spec?
I went over the scriptlet scenarios outlined in the wiki, none seem to apply.

no translations provided yet so find_lang macro is not being used.

-jef