Run of repoclosure against core-development and extras-development

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 13:00:29 UTC 2005

On 7/21/05, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> wrote:
> What's more worrisome than extras-devel having broken dependencies is that
> we have them in fc4-extras as well (at least on x86_64):

you have to be a little descriminating and double-check that the dep
problem you are seeing is from the "newest" package in the tree.  For
example
the newest version of octave-devel  in extras is 2.1.71-12, which
doesn't have a problem.

repomanage doesn't yet have a facility to ignore "old" packages in a
tree. And i am very much against making Extras a fully rolling tree
like rawhide and I believe we need to keep old versions of packages in
a tree around "long enough" to make sure the new update doesn't have a
horrible problem so people can revert back to the older package
without having to rely on a cached copy.

If repomanage could magically gain the ability to ignore old versions
of a package in a tree, this would clean up several of the dep errors
you saw.. like the octave-devel error and the screem error.

-jef