Request for review: koffice

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:27:19 UTC 2005

On 7/21/05, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> Nope. RPM-wise comps is not of any importance.

My reading of pittman's answer was that he wanted to create a virtual
package named "kdesktop" designed only to pull in other packages as
requirments without any file payload itself.  While this is
technically feasible to do... its something I'm pretty sure is not
actively encouraged as a solution to problems of this nature.

openoffice.org in Core certaintly doesn't have a virtual package in
Core that drags all the components in as requirements.  If there are a
group of packages that interact together to create a large suite or
environment.. they are defined as a group and installed via group
operations. We do this with group XFCE in Extras to provide all the
peices that make up a typical xfce environment and we do this with the
Office/Productivity group in core to get all the pieces of
openoffice.org installed, as well as a few other items. I don't see
why there is a need here to delibrately create virtual package for
koffice to shortcut the process of group definitions and installs.

-jef