amavisd-new again

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Thu Jul 21 21:12:26 UTC 2005

If anyone wants to further pre-review it, my latest amavisd-new
package is here:

  http://ftp.kspei.com/pub/steve/rpms/amavisd-new-2.3.2-5.src.rpm

The couple of extra perl modules needed should be in the same
directory.

I'm almost positive all of rpmlint's complaints are bogus (or at least
necessary for the way this has to interact with clamav).

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 11:42:10PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> - pid file location in conf file needs work
> - same for the clamav socket location

I think I fixed that.  Apparently I started moving things around and
then forgot what I was doing or something...  :-)

> - do we want to send virus notifications by default ?

I would think not.

> - you need to add /var/spool/amavisd/db/ to the directory list

Oh?

> - I don't like the default logging level of 0 :)

The message it sends to the mail server gets logged, so is that really
a problem?

> - does the clamav conf file needs to be readable by all ?

Probably not.

> - do you need to create an amavisd sundir in /etc to host a single
> file ?

In my last package, I had the clamd config there too.  So no, it
doesn't.  I wonder how bad it would mess up upgrades if I drop that
directory...

> - didn't check if you enabled quarantining, if you did you have to
> provide a script that scrubs the quarantine every so often (I had chosen
> to disable quarantine in my old spec)

I'm pretty sure I have the quarantine disabled.  (Given that nearly
50% of the mail coming through the servers I take care of is either
spam or viruses, quarantining seems insane to me.  As do
notifications, for that matter.)

> - needs some postfix integration (at least add a commented instruction
> block to the postifx conf files).
> The /usr/share/doc/amavisd-new-2.3.2/README_FILES/README.postfix is a
> bit too much for your average user.

I'll see what I can do about that.

And later...
> - is /var/log/amavisd/ used for anything ?

No, and I can't remember why it was ever there.  (This used to be a
spec for amavis-ng a *long* time ago...)  I dropped it.

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/