New package: msmtp

Taylor Stearns taylor at haleph.com
Thu Jul 21 21:56:22 UTC 2005

On Sat 09, Wart wrote:
> Taylor Stearns wrote:
> >On Wed 22, Taylor Stearns wrote:
> >
> >>Howdy,
> >>
> >>I've had some msmtp <http://msmtp.sourceforge.net> packages sitting around
> >>for a while that Lee-Win Tai cleaned up and suggested submitting to
> >>Extras.  So here it is:
> >>
> >>* msmtp (GPL):
> >>http://www.haleph.com/download/msmtp-1.4.1-2.src.rpm
> >>
> >>In the default mode, msmtp transmits a mail to an SMTP server (for example
> >>at a free mail provider) which does the delivery.  To use this program
> >>with your mail user agent (MUA), create a configuration file with your
> >>mail account(s) and tell your MUA to call msmtp instead of
> >>/usr/sbin/sendmail.
> >

> >Ping.  I hope somebody out there found this useful; I need CVS
> >sponsorship to commit it, but I haven't heard any feedback regarding the
> >package.  A new version was released a few days ago which I updated the
> >spec for:
> >  http://www.haleph.com/download/rpms/msmtp-1.4.2-1.src.rpm
> >
> >I would appreciate comments and/or criticism (or sponsorship).  Thanks.
>
> Good
> ----
> * Clean output from rpmlint
> * Package and spec file named correctly
> * md5sum matches upstream sources
> * Seems to follow PackagingGuidelines
> * Acceptible GPL license
> * Legible spec file
> * No duplicate files
> * File permissions look ok
>
> Check
> -----
> * Builds in mock for i386 and x86_64
> One build warning on both platforms.  You might want to check the
> upstream author to see if this is a problem:
> base64.c: In function 'isbase64':
> base64.c:284: warning: comparison is always true due to limited range of
> data type
>
> Bad
> ---
> Use %find_lang to handle the de locale instead of
> %{_prefix}/share/locale/...
>
> I didn't try running the program.

Thanks!  I addressed the locale problem and the two problems Enrico
mentioned.  Concerning the base64 warning from gnulib, that is apparently
"harmless"
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2004-11/msg00218.html)

Revisions along with a new upstream version with bugfixes available at:
  http://www.haleph.com/download/rpms/msmtp-1.4.3-1.src.rpm

Again, comments are welcome. (And I don't have CVS access)

Cheers,
Taylor Stearns
taylor at haleph.com