Re-Request for review: kompose

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Fri Jul 22 18:45:39 UTC 2005

Orion Poplawski wrote:

>> This is my first attempt at packaging a kde app, so there are surely
>> some issues.  In particular, I don´t seem to get an icon in my KDE
>> menu, so I must not be installing icons is the right place or the
>> .desktop file must not be right.

>> Komposé offers a great new way to manage a big number of windows on
>> different Virtual Desktops. It creates a fullscreen view where every
>> window is represented by a scaled screenshot of its own.
>> Thanks to the KDE framework it is possible to create those
>> screenshots "on the fly" while you are working without much overhead.
>> The image scaling is done through the high performance image library
>> Imlib2.
>>
>> Since version 0.5 support for the Composite and Damage extensions has
>> been added, which allows us to display window contents without
>> grabbing screenshots. However with the current state of graphics
>> drivers XOrg may be awfully slow (or even crash sometimes) when
>> enabling the Composite extension.
>> So blame me for your bad gfx drivers :)
>>
>> URL http://kompose.berlios.de/
>>
>> Package:
>> http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/fedora/kompose.spec
>> http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/fedora/kompose-0.5.2-0.beta1.src.rpm
>>

> Never got any takers, can someone please review?

OK, I'm not much of an expert on the menu stuff you mentioned, but here
are some other issues I found:

1. Release: 0.beta1%{?fcdist}
Did you mean %{?dist} ?

2. CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" CXXFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" %configure
--disable-rpath
If this is a KDE app, I assume it's all in C++, right? So is the CFLAGS
necessary? Also, I'm not sure the flags actually do anything if you use
%configure -- I think you may want to use ./configure instead.

3. Trying to build on an up-to-date FC4 system, I got the following
configure error:
checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0) (headers and
libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
I really don't understand this because "rpm -q qt qt-devel" gives:
qt-3.3.4-15.1
qt-devel-3.3.4-15.1

-Quentin