Re-Request for review: kompose

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Fri Jul 22 19:40:54 UTC 2005

Once upon a time Friday 22 July 2005 1:45 pm, Quentin Spencer wrote:
> Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > Orion Poplawski wrote:
> >> This is my first attempt at packaging a kde app, so there are surely
> >> some issues.  In particular, I don´t seem to get an icon in my KDE
> >> menu, so I must not be installing icons is the right place or the
> >> .desktop file must not be right.

> >> Komposé offers a great new way to manage a big number of windows on
> >> different Virtual Desktops. It creates a fullscreen view where every
> >> window is represented by a scaled screenshot of its own.
> >> Thanks to the KDE framework it is possible to create those
> >> screenshots "on the fly" while you are working without much overhead.
> >> The image scaling is done through the high performance image library
> >> Imlib2.
> >>
> >> Since version 0.5 support for the Composite and Damage extensions has
> >> been added, which allows us to display window contents without
> >> grabbing screenshots. However with the current state of graphics
> >> drivers XOrg may be awfully slow (or even crash sometimes) when
> >> enabling the Composite extension.
> >> So blame me for your bad gfx drivers :)
> >>
> >> URL http://kompose.berlios.de/
> >>
> >> Package:
> >> http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/fedora/kompose.spec
> >> http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/fedora/kompose-0.5.2-0.beta1.src.rpm
> >
> > Never got any takers, can someone please review?
>
> OK, I'm not much of an expert on the menu stuff you mentioned, but here
> are some other issues I found:
>
> 1. Release: 0.beta1%{?fcdist}
> Did you mean %{?dist} ?
>
> 2. CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" CXXFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" %configure
> --disable-rpath
> If this is a KDE app, I assume it's all in C++, right? So is the CFLAGS
> necessary? Also, I'm not sure the flags actually do anything if you use
> %configure -- I think you may want to use ./configure instead.

i would change

CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" CXXFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" %configure --disable-rpath
make

unset QTDIR || : ; . /etc/profile.d/qt.sh
export QTLIB=${QTDIR}/lib QTINC=${QTDIR}/include
%configure
make %{?_smp_mflags}

use  desktop-file-install to install your .desktop file.  I dont think your
patch to the .desktop file is needed.  make sure you add --vendor=fedora
--add-category=X-Fedora  --delete-original

I have used the following script from Rex Deiter in the %install section  to
catch all the language stuff

## File lists
# locale's
%find_lang %{name} || touch %{name}.lang
# HTML
HTML_DIR=$(kde-config --expandvars --install html)
if [ -d $RPM_BUILD_ROOT$HTML_DIR ]; then
for lang_dir in $RPM_BUILD_ROOT$HTML_DIR/* ; do
   lang=$(basename $lang_dir)
   echo "%lang($lang) %doc $HTML_DIR/$lang/*" >> %{name}.lang
done
fi

and then use  %files -f %{name}.lang instead of %files  to pick up all the
language files

kompose doesnt own /usr/share/apps/kompose/

I will look at it some more later tonight

dennis