Core and Extras maintainers coordination

Nathan Grennan fedora-extras-list at cygnusx-1.org
Fri Jul 22 21:24:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 23:12 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Please, no! For asking questions, users ought to use mailing-lists. Please
> let's not establish private e-mail contact as a way to contact a package
> author, neither for bug reports nor for questions or RFEs. Over the past
> weeks I've received a few private mails for packages in Fedora Extras,
> where I only fixed a bug or requested an all-arch rebuild.

  I disagree, mailing lists aren't the best choice in all cases. Some
information is only known by the package maintainer and using in the
mailing list in all cases assumes the person happens to notice your
question out of the flood of mail the mailing lists receive. Maybe the
person is on vacation and disables delivery of mailing lists. Or because
there has been so much said while they were away they can't be expected
to catch up. Where as a direct e-mail will be much more likely to be
read.

  Security issues are one situation I can see some people wanting a more
direct route. Personally I believe in full disclosure, but not all
agree. Which brings up an interesting point. Bugzilla has a check box
for security sensitive bugs. I am at least under the impression this
limits access to the bug. I am curious if this works properly with
extras since now not all maintainers are Red Hat employees.