Core and Extras maintainers coordination

Nathan Grennan fedora-extras-list at cygnusx-1.org
Fri Jul 22 22:02:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 17:54 -0400, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> I really disagree- and if it is necessary then you can always CC the
> person in your list mail to make sure but it should not be encouraged as
> the common method of contact.  Maintainers are not a direct support
> forum by promoting direct email you're likely to overwhelm people with
> user support requests via personal email.

  I am not saying this should be the method used in most cases. Just
that it is the proper choice in enough cases that having a maintainer
tag would be nice.

> If someone is away - another person may know the answer so a list is
> appropriate.  I understand fedora-devel is very noisy, but
> fedora-maintainers and fedora-extras are pretty high quality lists.

As I said before, some questions can only be answered by the maintainer.

> If you don't want something to get lost - raise it in bugzilla, if it's
> not appropriate for bugzilla raise it on the list or on #fedora-devel.

Not all developers hang out in #fedora-devel.

> Contacting the developer directly should be a last resort.

I almost agree with you, but see it as more of what fits the situtation.

> This is really another conversation completely - I know various people
> have been looking at the possibilities for extras security teams, etc.

 Yes, this can be taken off into another conversation. I just happen to
think of the bugzilla question while writing the previous e-mail. In the
case that the response team doesn't exist, and from what you just said
is my current understanding, getting in touch with the maintainer
directly might be the method considered to be best by some people.