Request for Review: hdf

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Jul 23 17:07:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 16:25 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> This is version 4 for the HDF library.
>
> http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/fedora/hdf.spec
> http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/fedora/hdf-4.2r1-1.src.rpm
>
> It somewhat based on my hdf5 package, so I'm not sure there is enough
> differentiation in Summary and %description.  It also only work on FC4
> for now.

Hi Orion,

As promised, heres a review of:

  http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/fedora/hdf-4.2r1-2.src.rpm

needswork:
 - the path in the source URL is incorrect and needs another "HDF/"
   in it as in:
     ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF/HDF/HDF_Current/src/HDF4.2r1.tar.gz
   not:
     ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF/HDF_Current/src/HDF%{version}.tar.gz
 - the package installs no shared libs so the "-p /sbin/ldconfig"
   can be safely removed from %post/%postun
 - rpmlint reports "W: hdf-devel no-documentation" which can probably
   be ignored

a suggestion:
 - the two static libs (/usr/lib/libdf.a and /usr/lib/libmfhdf.a)
   could be placed in a /usr/lib/hdf/ dir owned by the package and
   this would avoid conflicts with any other packages that might want
   to create similarly--named libs (the "pollution of /usr/lib"
   problem)

Good:
 - rpmlint OK (except for the one silly warning)
 - package and specfile naming OK
 - source matches upstream
 - license is BSD-ish (seems OK) and is included in %doc
 - code not content
 - specfile looks OK
 - builds and installs OK on FC-4
 - dir ownership OK
 - %files looks OK
 - headers and libs are in devel which also looks OK
 - no *.la
 - binaries seem to work -- no segfaults

Since the fixes are really minor, please feel free to do them after
importing into CVS (but before requesting a build).  I'll send an
APPROVED message next.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD