Any tips or guidelines for creating ruby packages?

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 04:04:08 UTC 2005

On 7/27/05, Tom 'spot' Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:

> > For functionality enhancing packages.. do I use perl packaging like
> > provides/requires syntax?
>
> Well, I don't think rpm understands ruby(function), and there are no
> pre-existant macros that I'm aware of. But otherwise, the perl model
> should be sufficient.

Ruby is more similar to Python in loading files.  It loads files, with
relative paths in the site_lib directory.  The files can contain
multiple classes which don't need to be named like the file.
Unfortunately, like Python, there is no relation between the files
installed and how they are distributed.

This is different than Perl where almost every class goes in a file
named after the class.  And most modern modules are named after the
primary class.

 - Ian