New package, review needed: icecast

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Fri Jul 29 13:57:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> If you're going to package a branch, you should make a separate package
> completely.  If upstream doesn't feel it should be released as the main
> branch, there is a reason.
Uhm, well. Karl is one of the upstream coders and his branch is located on
svn.xiph.org, so it's not exactly some random hack's branch.

As far as I can see, his branch is just used to test new code which will
then make it into the main branch.

Thus the codebase is _very_ similar to icecast-trunk.

> You could do this by using transform-name for configure, or by making a
> package with a different name that conflicts with a package named
> "icecast".
transform-name? Never heard of that.

What would you suggest? Naming the package icecast-kh? And conflicting it
with icecast while providing a virtual icecast package at the same time?

bye,
 andreas