New package, review needed: icecast

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Jul 29 15:00:55 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 15:57 +0200, Andreas Thienemann wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
>
> > If you're going to package a branch, you should make a separate package
> > completely.  If upstream doesn't feel it should be released as the main
> > branch, there is a reason.
> Uhm, well. Karl is one of the upstream coders and his branch is located on
> svn.xiph.org, so it's not exactly some random hack's branch.

I didn't say that :) I know who Karl is.  But there's a reason his
branch isn't mainline - it's precisely because he is moving fast on
features a lot that his branch is not the mainline.  It's a deliberate
choice, and hence it doesn't make sense to package the branch and have
people believe it's the official stable icecast.

> As far as I can see, his branch is just used to test new code which will
> then make it into the main branch.

> Thus the codebase is _very_ similar to icecast-trunk.

It's not - it's a bit more unstable, and it's precisely so because he's
moving fast on features.

> > You could do this by using transform-name for configure, or by making a
> > package with a different name that conflicts with a package named
> > "icecast".
> transform-name? Never heard of that.

from configure --help:

Program names:
  --program-prefix=PREFIX            prepend PREFIX to installed program
names
  --program-suffix=SUFFIX            append SUFFIX to installed program
names
  --program-transform-name=PROGRAM   run sed PROGRAM on installed
program names

This allows you to install stuff with a slightly different name.

> What would you suggest? Naming the package icecast-kh? And conflicting it
> with icecast while providing a virtual icecast package at the same time?

If you use program transform name, they can be installed side by side
with a little work, and that would probably be the nicest to do.
If you can't be bothered, then a conflicts makes the most sense, but I
wouldn't have it provide an actual icecast package.  People would be
duped into thinking they get the actual icecast release, and might be
turned off if it crashes for whatever reason.

Thomas

"Don't worry, Joey, it's unisex."
"Maybe you need sex, I just had some a couple of days ago !"
"No, no, U-N-I-sex !"
"Well, I ain't gonna say no to that !"