Any tips or guidelines for creating ruby packages?

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Jul 30 07:04:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:40:04 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> I'm more concerned about how rpm is catching the provided so files.
> There's no indication that the provides are libraries in ruby's site
> directory as compared to system lbraries. Is this going to be a
> problem?
>
> -jef
>
> rpm -q --provides -p ruby-gnome2-all/ruby-gnome2-all-0.12.0-1.i386.rpm
> atk.so
> gconf2.so
> gdk_pixbuf2.so
> glib2.so
> gnome2.so
> gnomecanvas2.so
> gnomeprint2.so
> gnomeprintui2.so
> gnomevfs.so
> gst.so
> gtk2.so
> gtk20.so
> gtk22.so
> gtkglext.so
> gtkhtml2.so
> gtksourceview.so
> libart2.so
> libgda.so
> libglade2.so
> panelapplet2.so
> pango.so
> rsvg2.so
> ruby-gnome2-all = 0.12.0-1

This is a packaging bug, because it pollutes the list of SONAME provides
in a dangerous way. None of these SONAMES are really installed by the
package in a path, where installing the package would satisfy the
dependency of a package which required one of these SONAMES. They are
installed into a private path, not into a location where dynamic linker
finds them. Hence they must not be "provided".

I believe we've seen broken dependencies due to something like this
before. One package I remember is OO.o in Core, which works around it by
redefining the %__find_provides macro.