Request for review: openvpn

Alexander Dalloz alex at dalloz.de
Sun Jul 31 00:57:53 UTC 2005

Am So, den 31.07.2005 schrieb Steven Pritchard um 1:26:

> On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 12:58:22AM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Create %{_localstatedir}/run/openvpn/ with the RPM and not by init
> > script run.
>
> I'm surprised I missed that...

I think thats why we review ;)

> > I have some wishes:
> > 1) Don't make --enable-pthread active for stable FC3 / FC4 builds, only
> > development, due to it's experimental state.
>
> I've had it enabled in my builds for months with no problems.

Good. Though I feel it shouldn't be used for stable branches. Can only
speak from my humble opinion and can not quote something from the
packaging guideline. configure says

  --enable-pthread        Enable pthread support (Experimental for
OpenVPN 2.0)

this and that is what would count for me.

> > 2) Let us make some compile options selectable, like
> > --enable-password-save or --disable-lzo.
>
> Is it really worth it?

Why not offer the choices? They don't cost much work in the spec file.
For instance for the pthread case:

# build with pthread support (Experimental for OpenVPN 2.0)
%define with_pthread %{?_with_pthread:1}%{!?_with_pthread:0}

and for %configure
%{?_with_pthread:--enable-pthread}

Would offer you a way to easily distinguish between development and
stable branch build with different defaults for configure.

> > 3) Check for init script to be made more Fedora style. Using
> > /etc/sysconfig/openvpn for default settings like user / group the tunnel
> > runs under. Let a user kill or restart the tunnel running under his own
> > uid/gid (useful for OpenVPN client tunnels).
>
> The init script is eventually going to have to be dropped or
> completely rewritten.  At some point I want openvpn to start like any
> other network interface.

Sounds like a good plan.

> > 4) Compilation agains lzo2 could be prepared for very soon to be
> > released OpenVPN 2.0.1. lzo2 will be in Extras, I got approval. It
> > offers encryption speed improvements on x86_64 arch.
>
> That's another reason I really want the package as-is released.  I'd
> like to switch devel over to 2.0.1_rc(whatever) and keep FC-3 and FC-4
> on 2.0 for now.

As long as 2.0.1 isn't released but in RC state it shouldn't be in
stable branches, I share that. OpenVPN 2.0 is the current stable for FC3
and FC4.

> Steve

Alexander

--

1024D/866ED681 2005-07-11 Alexander Dalloz (Fedora Project) <alex at dalloz.de>
Key fingerprint = CD40 0A91 7814 C1E4 5940  8E0E 1FD5 C316 866E D681