Any tips or guidelines for creating ruby packages?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 02:57:36 UTC 2005

On 7/30/05, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on splitting out subpackages for each component now.

Second draft of the src.rpm  which now splits out each sub-component
from the ruby-gnome2-all tarball  as a seperate binary package.

Just a few questions I have left:
1) not sure whether to include the previously discussed changed to
%__find_provides or not.
2) I'm excluding .h files... should i make one big -devel package are
make seperate -devel subpackages that each pretty much includes just
.h file per -devel package.

3)the damn sample scripts that I'm including as the %docs  uses
/usr/local/bin/ruby and rpm is picking that up and adding a
requirement for /usr/loca/bin/ruby. What to do here?
a)drop the samples from the packages
b)patch the samples to use /usr/bin/ruby
c)somehow disable rpm's automatic requires checking to avoid picking
up /usr/local/bin/ruby as a requirement.

The new ruby-gnome-all srpm and mock generated binary subpackages can
be found at
http://jef.is-a-geek.com/downloads/ruby-gnome2-all/
ruby-atk-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-gconf-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-gdkpixbuf-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-glib-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-gnome-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-gnomecanvas-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-gnomeprint-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-gnomeprintui-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-gnomevfs-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-gstreamer-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-gtk-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-gtkglext-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-gtkhtml2-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-gtksourceview-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-libart-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-libgda-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-libglade-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-panel-applet-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-pango-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm
ruby-rsvg-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm

ruby-gnome2-all-0.12.0-2.src.rpm
ruby-gnome2-all-debuginfo-0.12.0-2.i386.rpm

-jef