Requesting review (II)/approval on Enlightenment DR17 package+ some EFLs

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Jun 3 15:28:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 21:04 +0800, Didier Casse wrote:

> The spec files are here:

Where things apply to more than one spec file, please do it (I won't
repeat stuff for all packages, just for the first where I found it).

> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/eet.spec

Something like "Headers, static libraries, documentation and test
programs for %name development" is okay, though.

- "Release: 1.20050603.e17.fc3" -- do you really need to have the e17 in
the release?

- Consider including the CVS date in the packages' tarball names, not
only the version, e.g. like this:

%define cvsdate 20050603
Version: 0.9.10.008
Release: 1.%{cvsdate}.fc3
Source0: %{name}-%{version}-%{cvsdate}.tar.gz

- "%configure --prefix=%{_prefix} --bindir=%{_bindir} --libdir=
%{_libdir} --includedir=%{_includedir}" is redundant, "%configure" is
sufficient (try "rpm --eval %configure" to see what I mean)

- "%{__make} %{?_smp_mflags} %{?mflags}" -- I'd remove %{?mflags}, this
just smells like "non-repeatable build"

- "%{__make} %{?mflags_install} DESTDIR=%{buildroot} install", the same
as above, besides doesn't %makeinstall work?

- "%undefine __check_files" -- rather remove non-needed files in
%install

- "%{_libdir}/*.la" belongs into the devel subpackage (if at all)

> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/edb.spec
> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/embryo.spec
> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/evas.spec

- Don't do this:

CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS -fomit-frame-pointer -msse -mmmx -pipe"
export CFLAGS

This will generate an i386 package which doesn't run on machines up to
Pentium (Pro?), besides: -msse implies -mmmx. You can request a build
for i686 additionally to i386 which will pick up these flags via
$RPM_OPT_FLAGS _if_ such a package has that much improved performance
(please check this and come up with some numbers as this was deemed
worthwhile for kernel, glibc and openssl so far). It would be best if
upstream would build optimized versions of the performance-relevant
functions in all variants and determine processor capabilities at
startup, choosing the best-optimized functions _which work_ on the
processor at runtime.

> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/ecore.spec

- I'd include $RPM_OPT_FLAGS in this one:

CFLAGS="-I/usr/kerberos/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/X11/extensions"

> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/edje.spec

This one is missing.

> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/epeg.spec
> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/epsilon.spec

- Full stop missing in %description

> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/etox.spec
> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/esmart.spec
> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/ewl.spec
> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/entrance.spec

- "%description
Entrance  is the Enlightenment Display Manager. And like Enlightenment,
it takes beauty and customization to levels that KDM and GDM can only
dream about, without the bloat." -- Take out the last sentence, we don't
have GNOME packages bashing KDE in their %description or vice versa
either.

> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/enlightenment.spec

- Consider putting the session desktop file into the source RPM instead
of generating it in %install (there aren't any variables in it, so
there's no need to do that).

- "%{_libdir}/libe.*" -- is it correct that these are all in the devel
subpackage?

> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/engage.spec

besides what I said above, don't include trademarks in the summary or
description.

- "Group: Applications/Multimedia" -- this is wrong, "User
Interface/Desktops" would fit IMO

> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/engrave.spec
> http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe/fedora/extras/specs/e17genmenu.spec

HTH,