New package: balsa

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Jun 8 14:30:15 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 19:20 +0000, Pawel Salek wrote:

> http://balsa.gnome.org/balsa.spec has the checksum:

I would remove the if mandrake sections and not try to maintain rpm's
for both distributions in a single spec file. But if that's easier for
you, I also don't have a problem with it.

The package depends upon libesmpt which is not in fedora rawhide or
rawhide extras, so we need to get that into extras. The fc3 src.rpm does
not build in rawhide, it looked like a gcc4 issue. So I'm guessing the
right thing to do is get libsmtp from fc3 imported into extras, and file
a bugzilla with gcc4 so that we can patch it to build with gcc4.

These are the changes I made to the spec file to get it to build in
rawhide:

-BuildRequires: libesmtp-devel >= 1.0.3
+#BuildRequires: libesmtp-devel >= 1.0.3

That was just so I could build it in rawhide.

-%configure %{config_opts}
+%configure %{config_opts} --without-esmtp

same thing

-=-

-rm "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_bindir}"/balsa-ab
+rm -f "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_bindir}"/balsa-ab
+rm -f "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}"/balsa/hicolor/icon-theme.cache

rm -f should be used instead of just rm
the icon-theme.cache file also needs to be removed or rpm complains
about unpackaged file
in the %install section somewhere after make install -

+%if %fedora
+desktop-file-install $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
%{_datadir}/applications/balsa.desktop \
+--vendor=fedora \
+--add-category=X-Fedora \
+--dir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/applications \
+--copy-name-to-generic-name \
+--delete-original
+%endif

The packaging guidelines specify that packages in Extras should have the
desktop file installed this way. The --copy-name-to-generic-name is
because the guidelines indicate the desktop file should have both Name
and GenericName defined.

-%{_datadir}/applications/balsa.desktop
+%{_datadir}/applications/*.desktop

This is because the desktop-file-install command above changes the
desktop file from balsa.desktop to fedora-balsa.desktop

(desktop-file-utils also needs to be added to the BuildRequires)

-=-
Beyond that - rpmlint on the rpm it produced gave an interesting error:
E: balsa
invalid-lc-messages-dir /usr/share/locale/rw/LC_MESSAGES/balsa.mo

I don't know if that's an issue or not, it seems like that locale is not
supported by Fedora?

-=-
I'll see if I can get libesmtp to build in rawhide in gcc4. That's
probably a blocker.