Suggestion: pylint

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sat Jun 18 04:19:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 13:19 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 04:29 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> > I believe extras wants you to %ghost the *.pyo files in site-packages
>
> 	The conclusion from this thread seems to be:
>
>   https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-December/thread.html#00849
>
> 	that

I think it was more of an impasse.

>   1) This is just about disk space; the idea is that shipping .pyo
>      files don't give you an appreciable startup speed win so we
>      should we shouldn't package them

.pyo's can also break python programs.  The "optimizations" include
things like removing docstrings which programs may depend upon to
function.

>   2) That %ghost-ing .pyo files is more trouble than its worth

Is %{find_lang} more trouble than it's worth?  It similarly is just a
space savings.

> Thoughts?

1) Current Extras packages already adhere to this standard.

2) We must include the pyo's in the %files section either as %ghost or
as normal files otherwise they won't get removed from the system once
they are created.

3) It's not that hard to implement this in a spec file.  It's also not
that hard to implement a script to do it for you.

Attached is a script that takes a directory and generates a file list.
It can replace a common %files idiom such as:
  %files
  %{python_sitelib}/docutils
with:
  %install
  [..]
  %{find_pyfiles} %{python_sitelib}/docutils docutils

  %files -f docutils.pyfiles
  [..]

There are other solutions as well (something more like
%find_lang, for instance, that scans the whole %buildroot for python
files and correctly lists those files and the directories they reside in
for instance.)

-Toshio

PS Second attachment is a patch which adds the find_pyfiles macro to
rpm/redhat/macros and adds this file to the rpm/redhat/macros/
directory.