GNU ddrescue vs. dd_rescue

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Wed Jun 22 22:23:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:07:52AM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 18:46 -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> > Personally, I think the right thing to do would be to change the name
> > of the current ddrescue package to dd_rescue (the upstream name),
> > have dd_rescue obsolete ddrescue <= 1:1.0, and ship GNU ddrescue as
> > ddrescue with Epoch: 1.
>
> This would be needed only if both dd_rescue and ddrescue would be
> shipped.  I don't know a thing about these programs, but based on your
> description, it could suffice to ship only one of them.

I'd say just ship GNU ddrescue, except there may be other (less buggy)
front-ends to dd_rescue like dd_rhelp.  Unfortunately, the two
programs do not have the same options or even similar output.

> If that's correct, just switching to GNU ddrescue (if it's the chosen
> one) and bumping the Epoch would suffice.  If not, and both would be
> shipped, the obsoletion above should probably be a "<", not "<=".

Right.  That's what I meant.  :-)

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/