Request for review: Scim-pinyin

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Jun 24 13:32:22 UTC 2005

Hi Jeff,

I'm not a Chinese speaker either... :)

Jeff Pitman wrote:
> I think this is the 智能拼音, right?

Yep.

> I have no official capacity here, but I can review from a user
> perspective.  I download the spec and the sources and built the RPM for
> FC-3.  No problems.  Spec looks clean too.

The more eyes the better. :)

> Just some questions that may relate to packaging:
>
> 1. Is there a way to default to Traditional Chinese when my
> LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.UTF-8 when using pinyin?

Not that I know... you could try asking on the scim-user list.
There are other IMEngines available for tradition Chinese though.
See the scim website or the packages on
http://people.redhat.com/petersen/scim/ for more details.

> 2. Are there better pinyin phrase tables for Traditional Chinese with
> Taiwan in mind?  Simplified completes better because there are more
> phrase matches, etc.  Could these be packaged in with this?

I think this is a upstream issue and not a packaging one. :)
So better to ask the scim-pinyin maintainer on the ml I would say.

Hth, Jens