New package: perl-MP3-Tag

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun Jun 26 11:26:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 19:57 -0700, Chip Turner wrote:

> These  are all Hard Problems(tm) to solve, really.  Short of parsing a
> perl script (Makefile.PL), it isn't really doable to figure out the
> correct BuildRequires.

That's not entirely accurate nowadays.  Many CPAN packages ship META.yml
which contains the dependencies in a machine (and human) readable form.

For example Module::Depends can operate on that.  The Module-Depends
distribution also contains Module::Depends::Intrusive for distributions
without a META.yml, operating on Build.PL or Makefile.PL (which, as
said, is always more or less evil).
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Module-Depends/

If you don't want to add dependecies like Module::Depends to cpanflute2,
it could be either dynamically invoked where available, or internal YAML
parsing routines could be bundled with it.

> This question comes down to managing the %files section.  I've found
> historically that just letting a script do it is less error-prone over
> time.  cpanflute2 will -never- miss a file; the template might.

Sure, but given the "unpackaged files" behaviour in rpmbuild, that would
not go unnoticed but rather result in a trivially fixable build failure.