clamd handicraft work

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Jun 30 08:21:37 UTC 2005

Kai Raven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have installed clamav & clamd successfully under FC4 from Extras but i don't
> like the whole procedure the user must execute as mentioned in the Readme
> (copy this, make this, symlink to, chmod... and so on) to run "a individual
> clamd-instance".
> Why not a default installation with the individual "clamd.fedora" instance -
> because it is a clam(d) installation for Fedora - and full "automatism" for
> all required steps? If somebody wants a different service name, it is enough to
> explain in the Readme where to change the service name.

I used to agree with this sentiment, until Enrico explained to me that
different users of clamd are able to mess with data of other system
users if you rely on a single daemon.  Err... something like this, I
don't remember exactly what the issue was.

What we need instead are clamav-something packages containing the
/etc/rc.d/init.rd/ files, prepared for different specific uses of clamd.
   It will be easy for others to do after someone creates the first as
an example.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com