Request for Review: wpa_supplicant

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Thu Jun 30 18:45:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Douglas E. Warner wrote:

> http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/
>
> %description
> wpa_supplicant is a WPA Supplicant for Linux, BSD and Windows with support
> for WPA and WPA2 (IEEE 802.11i / RSN). Supplicant is the IEEE 802.1X/WPA
> component that is used in the client stations. It implements key negotiation
> with a WPA Authenticator and it controls the roaming and IEEE 802.11
> authentication/association of the wlan driver.

First off, there may be legal issues. WPA is a trademark of the Wi-Fi
Alliance. If that means anything for Fedora, I don't know.... Anyone else
feeling more like playing armchair lawyer? ;-)

> $ rpmlint ../RPMS/wpa_supplicant-0.4.2-1.fc4.i386.rpm
> W: wpa_supplicant incoherent-version-in-changelog 0.4.2-1 0.4.2-1.fc4

That means you did something like

%changelog
* Tue Jun 21 2005 Douglas E. Warner <silfreed at silfreed.net> 0.4.2-1

but did

Version: 0.4.2
Release: 1%{?dist}

in the spec (so it sees 0.4.2-1.fc4 as the version-release for the
package, but sees 0.4.2-1 as the version-release in the changelog)

In this case, you can ignore it. It's because you're using the %{?dist}
tag....

> E: wpa_supplicant non-readable /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf 0600

Fine as long as there's a reason (as there is in this case). Just put a
comment above it in the spec to note why for the sake of others reading
it....

> W: wpa_supplicant service-default-enabled /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant

Any new service added in Extras should be off by default. That needs to be
fixed -- change the

# chkconfig: 2345 12 88

# chkconfig: - 12 88

in wpa_supplicant.init.d

> E: wpa_supplicant incoherent-subsys /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant $PROG

You don't have a subsys lock file. Adding something like:

lockfile=/var/lock/subsys/wpa_supplicant

to wpa_supplicant.init.d will fix that

(you might want to install fedora-rpmdevtools and take a look at
/usr/share/fedora/template.init for an example of everything you want /
need in an init)

later,
chris