Request for review: latex-prosper

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jun 1 04:47:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 04:32 +0100, Jose Pedro Oliveira wrote:

> >> done
> >>
> >> http://mpeters.us/fc_extras/tetex-prosper.spec
> >> http://mpeters.us/fc_extras/tetex-prosper-1.00.4-0.1.src.rpm
> >>
> >> fixed License tag as well
> >
> > Are there any outstanding issues?
>
> Yes, there are.
>
> 1) The license is wrong (BSD?).  According to the file prosper.cls
> it should be "LaTeX Project Public License".  This license is valid and
> is recognized by the lastest rpmlint versions (/etc/rpmlint/config).

Hi Jose,

I think you need to take a second look at that prosper.cls file.  The
license shown in the first thirty lines of that file (which is included
below and is the only mention of *any* license within that file) looks
very BSD-like and does not look like any of the five (1.0--1.3a)
versions of the LaTeX Project Public License as documented at:

  http://www.latex-project.org/lppl/

Also, the only other mentions of a license that I could find within the
prosper source or web pages were:

 (1) Web site says:
      "is Prosper free ?
       Prosper is entirely free in both senses: you do not have to
       pay for it, and you can do what you want with its source
       code, provided you comply with the terms of the original
       copyright."

 (2) The commands

       tar -xzf prosper-1.00.4.tar.gz
       cd prosper
       find . -type f | xargs grep -C 3 -i license

     all seem to return the *same* BSD-like license which is
     included below.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD