Request for review/sponsor - NEdit

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jun 3 07:12:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 14:15 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I've finally got an updated NEdit SRPM whipped into shape (renamed from
> NEdit per the guidelines in the Fedora Extras Wiki).  It can be found at
>
>    http://home.comcast.net/~i.pilcher/NEdit-5.5-3.src.rpm

I don't understand why you've named this package "NEdit" rather than
"nedit". The package naming guidelines at
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageNamingGuidelines suggest to
stick to lower case unless the upstream package uses upper case, which
is not the case for either the tarball name or the installed binary?

Also, the package has historically been known as "nedit" in earlier
Fedora Core and Red Hat releases, so if it does get renamed then I would
suggest Obsoleting and Providing "nedit" for a clean upgrade path.

I know that at $WORKPLACE nedit is extremely popular and would be sorely
missed were it to disappear from Fedora.

The package builds OK here on my FC3 system.

Cheers, Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>