Request for discussion: gap (computer algebra system)

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Jun 3 19:05:19 UTC 2005

GM> I have a gap package in my apt/yum repository at:
GM> http://math.ifi.unizh.ch/fedora/3/i386/RPMS.gemi/

I've taken a look.  I like the idea of deleting the unnecessary
windows crap, so I'll snarf that.

I dislike the idea of nuking xgap, since people here actually use it
and Emacs goes over their heads.  I'd really prefer the Gtk/Python
based interface but it's not quite usable yet.

I don't see where you configure and build the packages that need
building.  I don't build all of them but I try to do as many as I
could get to work.

You build in a couple of extras (xtom and htmie).  I can see packing
xtom (just 80MB of data) and if there's interest I can look at putting
it into a subpackage but I don't understand why you need to package
the HTML that renders better with internet exploder.

Your help documents work!  At least now I can figure out what I'm
doing wrong.

 - J<