Review Needed: spamass-milter

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jun 6 11:59:28 UTC 2005

Warren Togami wrote:
> http://people.redhat.com/wtogami/temp/spamass-milter-0.3.0-2.src.rpm
> http://people.redhat.com/wtogami/temp/spamass-milter.spec
>
> I don't particularly care about this package because I dislike sendmail
> and use postfix, but one of my friends wants to use it, so I want to add
> it to Extras.  If someone actually cares about this package and wants to
> be the Extras maintainer instead of me please say so.  Otherwise I'll
> "maintain" it with minimal effort.
>
> The original packager had made no attempt to request an Extras CVS
> account, but he is certainly welcome to maintain it here if he is
> willing to follow project guidelines.

I'll volunteer if nobody else particularly wants it. I'm not a current
spamass-milter user but I intend to start using it soon, as my
home-brewed spam filtering scheme using procmail is too much like hard
work to maintain.

I've had a look at the package and made a few changes (see attached spec
file):

- Use Extras standard buildroot
- Unpack tarball quietly
- Create account sa-milt and run the milter using that instead of root
- Fix socket name in README
- Initscript not %%config

By far the most significant is not running the milter as root.

Further comments welcomed.

Paul.