Re: Request for Review: libevent

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 17:47 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:

> The question remains though, how much
> backwards-compatibility should extras packages include? I expect it's
> mostly a decision for each package maintainer, but what should be (are?)
> the guidelines?

I'm not sure if it is feasible to even try to come up with objective
guidelines for this.  What I personally think would be roughly:

1) As much as it makes sense to, and
2) As much as the packager is willing to spend time on it, without
   sacrificing the end result on the current, "supported" distributions.

Setting the "as much as" thresholds in both of the above is left as an
excercise for the packager.

About this particular case, adding five characters after %check doesn't
sound overly intrusive to me, but mileages vary.  On the other hand, it
is a hack, and I don't think there are any guarantees that it won't
break the specfile in future rpm(build) releases.