Requesting review (II)/approval on Enlightenment DR17 package+ some EFLs

Didier Casse elprodigio at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 02:19:53 UTC 2005

On 6/9/05, Nils Philippsen <nphilipp at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Didier,
>
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 23:48 +0800, Didier Casse wrote:
> > On 6/3/05, Nils Philippsen <nphilipp at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > - "%configure --prefix=%{_prefix} --bindir=%{_bindir} --libdir=
> > > %{_libdir} --includedir=%{_includedir}" is redundant, "%configure" is
> > > sufficient (try "rpm --eval %configure" to see what I mean)
> >
> > Dear Nils,
> >                 Thanks for all the constructive comments. Everything's
> > fine but only 2 glitches remained: In the %configure option, I can
> > remove all the options bar  the --prefix one. i.e It must be
> >
> > %configure --prefix=%{_prefix}
> >
> > at least or else it will install in /usr/local instead of  /usr.
>
> That's strange, because %configure already contains that:

But I realized that tarballs not generated by "make dist" still
require this extra option somehow. Proper tarball is just happy with
the %configure.

If you try to build for instance this:

http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/e17genmenu/e17genmenu-0.1.8.tar.gz

without the extra option, it won't install in /usr (It's not a good
generated tarball and probably not generated at all!). The trick is to
go inside the tarball, perform a
./autogen.sh, make dist then take the resulting PROPER tarball. Then
there's no need to specify additional options to %configure.

> Still this should be addressed upstream sometime (this is something many
> projects get wrong). Usually this amounts to renaming reused standard
> directory names, e.g. when a package does this in Makefile.am:
>
> datadir=@datadir@/packagename
> data_DATA=*.png
>
> Because the well known name "datadir" is reused (abused ;-)),
> %makeinstall will fail because it subsequently overrides it again. This
> can be fixed thusly:
>
> packagedatadir=$(datadir)/packagename
> packagedata_DATA=*.png

I see. Thanks for the insight. :)

--
Cheers,
Didier.

Yum/apt repository for DR17/EFL: http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe

Didier F.B Casse
PhD candidate, Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS)
National University of Singapore.