New package: balsa

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jun 10 04:09:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 21:22 +0000, Pawel Salek wrote:
> On 06/08/2005 04:30:15 PM, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 19:20 +0000, Pawel Salek wrote:
> > [snip]
>
> Thanks for all the comments - they are really appreciated!
>
> > -=-
> > I'll see if I can get libesmtp to build in rawhide in gcc4. That's
> > probably a blocker.
>
> Another way would be to include libesmtp package in balsa as an
> additional tarball - this would require some patching though because
> currently libesmtp loads authentication plugins with dlopen() and its
> author is very fond of it. Does anybody know of other applications
> using libesmtp? I think pan is one but I do not know its status.
>
> Opinions?

AFAIK pan was also removed from core, which is too bad because I liked
it - though I hardly ever used it.

If there is other software that can use libesmtp that either was in core
or otherwise should be in extras, then it should be its own package.

Anyway - imho the most recent libesmtp from core should be checked to
into extras, and gcc4 patched. I think (other than patch) all the spec
file would need is a small change to meet extras guidelines - it uses
BuildPreReq and I think extras wants BuildRequires.