Status of "not for commercial use license" discussion?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Jun 12 10:09:11 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 12:04 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sometime ago we had a discussion about the inclusion of "not for
> commercial use license" software into extras. For those who missed the
> original discussion, we're talking about software which comes with
> source, maybe modified without problems etc. But may not be
> redistributed for profit.
>
> This would be taken up with RH-legal. After that it has been silent. Is
> legal still thinking/investigating?

I would object to it simply because such a license is really not a free
license at all.
It also can have a viral effect if other software makes use of it.

One should be able to use Fedora and Extras without needing to worry
about what software they have installed and whether or not their usage
violated the terms of usage.

While it is the right of a developer to distribute stuff anyway he
wishes (I was always fond of postcardware - and tried to get the best
postcards I could to send the developer) I think it is a little short
sighted for an OSS project to limit the usage when just about every
major OSS project has had signifigant contributions to their projects
from commercial users.