Self-Introduction and Package Submission by Paul Wouters

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Jun 16 20:28:31 UTC 2005

Sorry if this is not the right or proper way to submit a package to fedora
extras. There are many links out there that describe different things.

Since I would like to add some packages to fedora-extras, below follows my
Self-Introduction, GKG key, and links to the packages.

Full legal name : Paul Wouters
Country, City	: The Netherlands, Canada
Profession or Student status : Programmer/Sysadmin
Company or School	: Xelerance (http://www.xelerance.com)
Hobby: Cypherpunk (http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/)

Your goals in the Fedora Project

     * Which packages do you want to see published?
 	I would like to see libotr and gaim-otr included in fedora-extras
 	libotr: Off-The-Record Messaging libraray and toolkit
 	gaim-otr: Off-The-Record Messaging plugin for GAIM
 	Both packages are released under the GPL.

ExecSum of OTR:
OTR allows you to have private conversations over IM by providing:
  - Encryption
    - No one else can read your instant messages.
  - Authentication
    - You are assured the correspondent is who you think it is.
  - Deniability
    - The messages you send do _not_ have digital signatures that are
      checkable by a third party.  Anyone can forge messages after a
      conversation to make them look like they came from you.  However,
      _during_ a conversation, your correspondent is assured the messages
      he sees are authentic and unmodified.
  - Perfect forward secrecy
    - If you lose control of your private keys, no previous conversation
      is compromised.

For more information on Off-the-Record Messaging, see
http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

     * Do you want to do QA?
 	Sure. No problem.

     * Anything else special?
 	I also maintain the openswan rpms published by Xelerance, on which
 	Fedora Core's openswan's rpm are based on.
#

Historical qualifications

     * What other projects have you worked on in the past?
 	LRP (linux router project)
 	FreeS/WAN
 	openwrt
 	Openswan (currently)
 	libotr and gaim-otr packaging for Microsoft Windows

     * What computer languages and other skills do you know?
 	Some C, perl, shell, scripting languages, etc.
 	Google for most embarassing questions asked by me.

     * Why should we trust you? <--- too blunt?
 	1) Because my GKG key has some cool signatures on it?
 	2) I 'own' a root run binary in a package anyway? (/usr/sbin/pluto)

GPG KEYID and fingerprint

0xB5CC27E1
Fingerprint16 = FC 0C 97 7F 47 24 D0 EA  06 E3 1C 2A E3 BA 29 CE
key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5CC27E1

You can already find libotr and gaim-otr rpms, signed by me, for Fedora Core
1-4 in a yum repository. This has been maintained by me for about a year now.

[otr]
name=otr - Fedora OTR packages
baseurl=ftp://ftp.openswan.org/mirror/otr/binaries/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/  http://www.xelerance.com/mirror/otr/binaries/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/
enabled=1
# get the key for paul at cypherpunks.ca from a key server (eg pgp.mit.edu)
# or: finger paul at xelerance.com > otrkey ; rpm --import otrkey
gpgcheck=0

FC 2 and 3 contain i386 and x86_86 packages. FC4 also contains ppc packages.

Source rpms can be found here:
ftp://ftp.openswan.org/mirror/otr/binaries/fedora/4/SRPMS/libotr-2.0.2-1.src.rpm
ftp://ftp.openswan.org/mirror/otr/binaries/fedora/4/SRPMS/gaim-otr-2.0.2-1.src.rpm
Or on the master repository (not a high speed link):
http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/binaries/fedora/4/SRPMS/libotr-2.0.2-1.src.rpm
http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/binaries/fedora/4/SRPMS/gaim-otr-2.0.2-1.src.rpm

These packages can be considered 'stable'. I am not sure if fedora still
requires our packages to add 'fdr' in the release tag. If so, the packages
can be changed to accomodate that requirement.

If anyone has questions or remarks, feel free to contact me personally, or
via the otr-users or otr-dev lists at lists.cypherpunks.ca/mailman/listinfo/

Regards,

People who want to test OTR can test this by talking to any OTR enabled
client on AIM/ICQ, MSN or Jabber. Just enable "Off-the-record messaging" in
gaim's plugin menu.

Feel free to initiate a chat with me at PaulWouters at jabber.org or icq/aim
9944856, or any of the other cypherpunks out there. Most of them are now
using OTR.

If I need a Fedora Extras contributor or Red Hat engineer, then I hope someone
will step forward :)

I already am the package maintainer of the libotr and gaim-otr yum repositories
on ftp.openswan.org/www.xelerance.com.

Regards,

Paul Wouters
Xelerance/Cypherpunks