New package: nedit

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jun 17 09:39:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 11:21 +0200, Jindrich Novy wrote:

> Yes, I know about Ian, we discussed via email that he's welcomed to
> contribute to the nedit package as soon as it's included.
>
> Thanks,
> Jindrich

The %install section has
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/X11R6/bin
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/X11R6/man/man1

I don't think it is a requirement, but a lot of packagers here have
suggested (to me anyway) using install -d instead of mkdir -p

The desktop file I believe needs to be changed.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/FedoraDesktopEntryGuidelines

desktop-file-install --vendor net --delete-original \

instead of --vendor it should be --vendor=fedora

I'm not certain on the category - the wiki says:

Additionally, all Fedora packages must contain the "X-Fedora" category.

For packages that exist in Red Hat Linux, the categories must be the
same as Red Hat's (+ X-Fedora).

For packages that are considered essential for end users, the
"X-Red-Hat-Base" Category must be added because that's currently the
only way to get them listed in the top level menus instead of "Extras"
on RH8 or "More foo..." on RH9.

I'm guessing that means

        --add-category "Application;Development;X-Red-Hat-Extra" \

should be changed to

        --add-category "Application;Development;X-Fedora" \

Someone who knows more about the history of that wiki policy though
should clarify.