Request for review: ctrlproxy

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Fri Jun 17 20:04:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 18:01 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> ctrlproxy is an IRC proxy capable of handling multiple client
> connections all using the same connection to an IRC server.
>
> http://jelmer.vernstok.nl/ctrlproxy/

Very cool.  I've got a half written package for this too.  Glad someone
found time.

> I based this on Sean Reifschneider's RPM which is linked from the
> ctrlproxy web page...
>
> http://david.woodhou.se/ctrlproxy.spec
> http://david.woodhou.se/ctrlproxy-2.6.2-1.src.rpm

A few suggestions.  (Note: I'm fairly new at packaging, so if something
I suggest doesn't make any sense, just tell me so)

1) The preferred BuildRoot tag is:

%{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)

2) %{_datadir} can be used instead of /usr/share/

3) %{_bindir} can be used instead of /usr/bin

4) Does the package really want to own all of /usr/bin/*?  I'd think
owning:

%{_bindir}/ctrlproxy

would be better

5) Same as 4, but with %{_includedir}/ctrlproxy.h instead
of /usr/include/*

6) The proceeding / before %{_libdir}/ctrlproxy/* is not needed

Those are what I could find so far.  Again, I'm still a novice myself so
feel free to hit me with a cluebat if I've misspoken.

josh