Request for review: libotr and gaim-otr

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Jun 17 21:32:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:51:36 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 20:43 +0200, Paul Wouters wrote:
> > libotr is the Off-The-Record Messaging library and toolkit
> > gaim-otr is the Off-The-Record Messaging plugin for GAIM
> >
> > See http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/
> > Mirrors: ftp://ftp.openswan.org/mirror/otr
> >           http://www.xelerance.com/otr/
> >
> > SRPM and spec files:
> >
> > http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/binaries/fedora/4/SRPMS/libotr-2.0.2-2.spec
> > http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/binaries/fedora/4/SRPMS/gaim-otr-2.0.2-2.spec
> >
> > http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/binaries/fedora/4/SRPMS/libotr-2.0.2-2.src.rpm
> > http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/binaries/fedora/4/SRPMS/gaim-otr-2.0.2-2.src.rpm
>
> Review:
>
> rpmlint checks:
> libotr-2.0.2-2.i386.rpm:
> W: libotr no-version-in-last-changelog
> E: libotr outside-libdir-files /usr/bin/otr_parse
> libotr-devel-2.0.2-2.i386.rpm:
> W: libotr-devel no-version-in-last-changelog
> gaim-otr-2.0.2-2.i386.rpm:
> W: gaim-otr no-version-in-last-changelog
>
> All warnings and errors can be safely ignored.
>
> Good:
>
> - Package named appropriately
> - Meets PackagingGuidelines
> - ldconfig in %post,%postun
> - devel package has right files
> - .la files removed in %install
>
> APPROVED
>
> ~spot

libotr:

 * LGPL should be added to the licence field

 * -devel package is missing %defattr statement

 * -devel package is missing "Requires: gcrypt-devel"

 * %description is a bit too verbose and formatted for my taste.
   At least the version and date are unusual and should be dropped.
   Preferably avoid fixed-width formatting (such as the headline).
   It may look ugly in other fonts.
   Block-text except in enumerations is much more usual.

 * Duplicating COPYING.LIB and README in %doc of -devel package is
   unnecessary bloat. You include those two files in the main already.