JPackage and FC/FE

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jun 19 10:57:27 UTC 2005

>>>>> "VS" == Ville Skyttä  writes:

[...]

[I'll take this to jpackage-discuss if this is too off-topic.]

>> Are jpackage packages going to be removed from the jpackage
>> repository when they are included in core?

VS> JPackage is split into two categories: distro independent packages
VS> (the "generic" repository) and distro-dependent ones (eg. the
VS> "fedora-4" repository).  The vast majority of packages in JPackage
VS> is in the generic repository, which is not at all limited to
VS> Fedora users; it works on just about any rpm based distribution
VS> (not even limited to Linux!).

VS> So, packages in the "generic" JPackage repository will not be
VS> removed if they're in FC or FE.  On the other hand, IMO it makes
VS> no sense to ship stuff in the JPackage _distro specific_ repos
VS> that is already present in that distro, for example Eclipse for
VS> FC4.

>> Sure, that would get discovered - but it would mean high
>> maintenance for user of jpackage repo file because they would start
>> needing to use excludes if they didn't want jpackage stuff
>> replacing core stuff.

It appears that that situation has already arisen.  I have both
generic and FC4 specific in my yum config, and now it wants to upgrade
jakarta-commons-collections from the core package (3.1-1jpp_4fc) to
the jpackage one (3.1-2jpp):

sudo yum upgrade
Password:
Setting up Upgrade Process
Setting up repositories
jpackage16-fc             100% |=========================|  903 B 00:00
jpackage16-generic        100% |=========================|  903 B 00:00
extras                    100% |=========================|  951 B 00:00
updates-released          100% |=========================|  951 B 00:00
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package jakarta-commons-collections.noarch 0:3.1-2jpp set to be
updated
--> Running transaction check

Dependencies Resolved

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository
 Size
Updating:
 jakarta-commons-collections  noarch     3.1-2jpp
 jpackage16-generic  482 k

Transaction Summary
Install      0 Package(s)
Update       1 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Total download size: 482 k
Is this ok [y/N]: n
Exiting on user Command

What should I do in this case?  Should I remove the generic repo?  If
I do that would seem to contradict the advice given on
http://jpackage.org/repos.php, which says:

 Note that you will most likely want to add the "generic" distribution
 components to your configuration along with the distribution specific
 ones because of package interdependencies.

This would imply that distro-specific packages depend on packages in
the generic area.  Also if you add the generic area (which has the
bulk of the packages as pointed out above), you run the risk of
upgrading a core package, like I have just run into.  Catch-22.  What
to do?

Alex