Re: hping2 orphaned? Joining Extras

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 01:40 -0400, Pete Toscano wrote:
> I want to be sure I understand where our responsibilities lie as package
> maintainers.  It's our job to take the releases (and possibly useful
> patches too) and bundle them up in RPMs for release in Extras, right?
> If a bug report comes in asking for code fixes or extra features
> (possibly aside from already-existing patches) that don't involve the
> packaging, the it's best to refer the submitter to the program's
> development list, right?  We're not expected to actively participate in
> the program's development (although that wouldn't hurt).  We should be
> monitoring the programs we maintain for new releases and possibly for
> some important patches.  Does this about sum it up?

Code errors and packaging issues should be dealt with if possible and
patches kicked upstream if relevant. Feature requests should be kicked
upstream always. The rest is accurate.

The goal of a maintainer is to keep the source as pristine as possible
while not depriving users of a working package that integrates into
Fedora properly.

http://fedora.ivazquez.net/