New Package: x2x

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Sun Jun 19 16:35:52 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 07:00 -0400, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 13:09 -0400, Jack Neely wrote:
> > IANAL.  I'm not sure what to do about the two licenses.  It seems to me
> > that by incorperating code that's under the GPL that should make the
> > package GPL.  So that's what I did.  Better suggestion?
> >
> > Jack
> >
> IANAL as well.  I think there is a conflict in licenses but I don't
> think we can resolve it.  I think upstream has to change their license,
> change their code, or get permission to use the GPL'd code under a
> license compatible with the BSD license.

No. As long as it's the modern BSD without advertising clause, a
combined work (containing code of BSD-licensed and GPL-licensed origin)
can be licensed under the GPL. So as long as the package is distributed
under the GPL there is no problem. As far as I can tell Jack did exactly
the right thing.

(Of course, IANAL either but this is so commonly discussed that I think
it's safe...)

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University