Request for Review: gstreamer-plugins-extras

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sun Jun 19 18:16:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 07 May 2005 13:51:09 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> This package provides some gstreamer plugins that do not ship with
> Fedora Core and depend only upon libraries currently available in
> Extras. It is built from the same patent cleansed patched gst-plugins
> tarball as the Fedora rawhide gstreamer-plugins package.
>
> Included plugins:
>
> /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstaasink.so
> /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstladspa.so
> /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstlibvisual.so
> /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstshout.so
> /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstsid.so
> /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstsndfile.so
>
> This package is instead of my previously submitted
> gstreamer-plugins-libvisual package.
>
> spec file: http://mpeters.us/fc_extras/gstreamer-plugins-extras.spec
> src.rpm:
> http://mpeters.us/fc_extras/gstreamer-plugins-extras-0.8.8-0.3.src.rpm
>
> It builds with libraries currently available in extras-development

libvisual-plugins from devel fails to build here for FC4 due to standard
rpath check complaining loudly.

> Installation depends upon my libvisual-plugins package also submitted.
> That requires is because gst-register-0.8 will spit out errors about not
> finding any available plugins if they aren't installed (it still loads,
> but loads with zero features)
>
> Targets Fedora Rawhide, should also build for fc3 if branched and the
> tarball is changed to fc3 version of gst-plugins. I don't personally see
> much point though, but if others do, it's an easy change.

As for the reviewing, I didn't check how close you try to stay to
Core's gstreamer-plugins package.

 * mixed use of $RPM_BUILD_ROOT and %buildroot
 * mixed use of /usr/bin and %_bindir
 * Summary could be change to plural => "plugins"
 * licence LGPL? No.
   At least libsidplay is GPL, so gstreamer-plugins-extras cannot be LGPL.
 * why is it necessary to run autoconf/automake/libtool? [comment?]
 * configure script complains:
   plug-in aalib not recognized, ignoring...
   plug-in ladspa not recognized, ignoring...
   plug-in sidplay not recognized, ignoring...
   plug-in sndfile not recognized, ignoring...
   plug-in shoutcast not recognized, ignoring...
   plug-in libvisual not recognized, ignoring...

Rest looks normal. As a run-time test I verified that the SID plugin
works. APPROVED.

--
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
loadavg: 1.38 1.91 2.12