Request for Review: gstreamer-plugins-extras

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Jun 19 22:05:05 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 20:16 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 13:51:09 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> > This package provides some gstreamer plugins that do not ship with
> > Fedora Core and depend only upon libraries currently available in
> > Extras. It is built from the same patent cleansed patched gst-plugins
> > tarball as the Fedora rawhide gstreamer-plugins package.
> >
> > Included plugins:
> >
> > /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstaasink.so
> > /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstladspa.so
> > /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstlibvisual.so
> > /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstshout.so
> > /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstsid.so
> > /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstsndfile.so
> >
> > This package is instead of my previously submitted
> > gstreamer-plugins-libvisual package.
> >
> > spec file: http://mpeters.us/fc_extras/gstreamer-plugins-extras.spec
> > src.rpm:
> > http://mpeters.us/fc_extras/gstreamer-plugins-extras-0.8.8-0.3.src.rpm
> >
> > It builds with libraries currently available in extras-development
>
> libvisual-plugins from devel fails to build here for FC4 due to standard
> rpath check complaining loudly.

OK - I requested a build for libvisual-plugins for devel - the i386
package worked but the build server was unable to get a minimum build
environment for ppc or x86_64.

I have implemented the following change to libvisual-plugins in cvs:

%{__sed} -i 's?$LDFLAGS -Wl,-rpath,$x_libraries ?$LDFLAGS -Wl,?'
configure

The stops rpmlint from complaining about the rpath, so hopefully it will
resolve the issue.
The configure script unfortunately did not have a --disable-rpath
option.

> > Installation depends upon my libvisual-plugins package also submitted.
> > That requires is because gst-register-0.8 will spit out errors about not
> > finding any available plugins if they aren't installed (it still loads,
> > but loads with zero features)
> >
> > Targets Fedora Rawhide, should also build for fc3 if branched and the
> > tarball is changed to fc3 version of gst-plugins. I don't personally see
> > much point though, but if others do, it's an easy change.
>
> As for the reviewing, I didn't check how close you try to stay to
> Core's gstreamer-plugins package.
>
>  * mixed use of $RPM_BUILD_ROOT and %buildroot
>  * mixed use of /usr/bin and %_bindir

fixed both of those, upload new src.rpm soon

>  * Summary could be change to plural => "plugins"
>  * licence LGPL? No.
>    At least libsidplay is GPL, so gstreamer-plugins-extras cannot be LGPL.
>  * why is it necessary to run autoconf/automake/libtool? [comment?]

It uses the patched source from Fedora Core that has had the patent
stuff removed.
The patched source doesn't regenerate the configure script - so
configure will fail if the autoconf etc. stuff isn't run.

I added a comment to that effect in spec file

>  * configure script complains:
>    plug-in aalib not recognized, ignoring...
>    plug-in ladspa not recognized, ignoring...
>    plug-in sidplay not recognized, ignoring...
>    plug-in sndfile not recognized, ignoring...
>    plug-in shoutcast not recognized, ignoring...
>    plug-in libvisual not recognized, ignoring...

It looks like those don't need to be there but *possibly* use to be
required in older versions.
I'll remove them.

> Rest looks normal. As a run-time test I verified that the SID plugin
> works. APPROVED.

I want to talk to Thomas Vander Stichele before I import.
I think he still has plans on packages for livna that are very similar
name, and I want to make sure they don't include any of these plugins.

I'm going to do one more mock build just to make sure it still builds
(it did before I made the suggested changes) and then the updated will
be at

http://mpeters.us/fc_extras/gstreamer-plugins-extras-0.8.8-0.4.src.rpm
(will be 404 while I build in mock)