Re: relocatable packages ?

> Before fhs (or at least before I knew about) Dad, a long time Uni
> (Berkeley) programmer/sys admin (mostly AIX/Solaris) - explained it to
> me this way:
>
> Vendor packages: /usr
> Third party packages - fully contained in /opt/vendor/package (with
> symlinks in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/man)
> local compiled: /usr/local

Here's how I view the world:
/usr/local - should have NOTHING in it and especially nothing that's
mananged by rpm. And if you have any programs installed on your system
that's NOT managed by rpm then you've got a problem  right there.

/opt - all the big binary-only crap you get from 3rd party vendors.

/usr - distribution provided and package managed software - imo  this
translates into: distribution provided, package managed and open source
software.

-sv