relocatable packages ?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Jun 22 13:35:50 UTC 2005

>>>>> "sv" == seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> writes:

sv> Well if you read the fhs there is a good reason to keep matlab out
sv> of
sv> /usr. http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEUSRHIERARCHY
sv> read the 4th sentence

I don't put anything in a direct subdirectory of /usr.  For me, Matlab
mostly lives in /usr/lib/matlab-14.2.

There is no definition of "large software package" on the page you
link; I think Octave, Mozilla and R would qualify, and they all live
entirely under /usr.

I would put Matlab, Mathematica, Splus, the PGI compilers, and other
such things in /opt if they weren't integrated into my distro.  But
they are essentially indistinguishable from any other package; if I
enter "yum install mathematica" I get Mathematica.  It's as much a
part of my distro as any core package, anything from extras or another
repository, or any package that I built an RPM for.

 - J<