Re: Downgrading to FC4

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 00:12 -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> The fact that you can, sort of, downgrade doesn't make it a good idea.
> Rpm's don't support downgrade reliably, while it works most of the time ok
> it might just as well not work leaving you with strange problems and
> quirks.

And the fact that RPMs support upgrades doesn't mean that they always
work without strange problems. For example:
- openssl-0.9.7f-4 caused my postfix to break because the CA was moved
  to /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
- pam-0.79-8 made me unable to login because of "set_loginuid failed
  opening loginuid"

Still we all do upgrades, don't we?

Tom

PS: It would be a very nice feature if yum/rpm could generate a
differential changelog when doing an upgrade. E.g. generate a file and
write the name of each package being updated followed by the changelog
entries between the old and new version.

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Linux is like a Wigwam..  No Windows, no Gates, and Apache inside.