Doesn't a new version replace the previous one?

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Fri Jun 24 18:27:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:29:57 +0200, Christian Jodar wrote:

>> I've
>> got the program and we run it from time to time - but I think there's
>> some dispute over whether it should be run everytime or not.
>
> IMHO, best way to do that would be to have a cron job for this that would
> scan packages and remove then if one of these conditions are present:
>
> * Version number <= current - number
> * (Version number > current - number) && (package is too old)
>
> What has to be defined is when a package is too old (the delay to keep
> it) and also the number of version to kept in the repository.
>
> (number = 2) should be enough I think. We will have only current version
> and previous one.
>
> For the delay, I don't know how much it should be.

Very Very Dumb Question : Those of you qualified to discuss such things DO
keep dependency hells in mind, don't you? One such eventually made my then
much favorite browser (Galeon) unusable. And I believe it has been known
to happen with other apps -- AbiWord a/o Epiphany, maybe?

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC 1-3, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2; Privoxy 3.0.3;